Well, this week there was a HUGE influx of books at my house - but only 1 actually came in the mail - but I just have to share all of them with you!
Ok, let's start off with something that did actually arrive in the mail -
As a giveaway win I received Madame Bovary's Daughter by Linda Urbach. I have been excited to read this one and was even more excited to win it!
Now that the requisite mailbox portion is done, I went to my local library sale this weekend and scored a boatload of books for just $11 (and most of them are hard cover)! Here is what we got:
• Roses by Leila Meacham - have heard so many wonderful things about this book and when I saw it I knew I needed to get it
• The House of a Thousand Lanterns by Victoria Holt - a Holt goes without saying. I found a couple of hers at this sale last year too.
• The Queen’s Confession by Victoria Holt - ditto to the above
• King’s Fool by Margaret Campbell Barnes - one of the two books of hers that I didn't have - in mint condition. Now all I need is the Tudor Rose.
• The Book Thief by Markus Zusak - after listening to this on audiobook I have wanted to actually acquire this one - and now my boyfriend can read it too!
• The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights by John Steinbeck - I was surprised when I found this one - I had mentioned this on my recommended reads for King Arthur listing and of course had to pick this up when I found it.
• Byzantium by Stephen Lawhead - we have several Lawhead books here, although I haven't finished my first yet.
• Moby Dick by Herman Melville - the next few books were my boyfriend's choosing, but worth having on my classics shelf. I don't know if I will ever physically read this book - it feels more like an audio to me.
• The Complete Sherlock Holmes Vol 1 by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - On the other hand, I have been dying to get into some Sherlock Holmes and this is the perfect start!
• Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe - another for the classics shelf
• Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne - I never knew this book was so short!
• The Turn of the Screw by Henry James - A great addition to our collection
• The House at Riverton by Kate Morton - I already have a copy on my shelf - but a beautiful hard cover makes a great giveaway!
• The White Queen by Philippa Gregory - ditto to the above!
• War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells - the boyfriend jumped right into this one upon getting home. I'm hoping to pick up the audiobook version of the original radio production - hear it just as many first heard it!
I think this is one of my best hauls in a long time.
What arrived in your mailbox?
Mailbox Monday is on a monthly blog tour and for the month of August it is being held at Life in the Thumb.
Copyright 2011 by The Maiden’s Court