So this might come as a surprise to many of you...but I hadn't bought into the Downton Abbey hysteria, and had not seen an episode...until this past Friday. Then within a 24 hour period I inhaled the entire 1st season!
While I plan on doing a review at a later date, I wanted to give some of my first impressions now:
- Whenever I see Hugh Bonneville as the Earl of Grantham all I can see is Victor Garber as Thomas Andrews in the movie, Titanic. The similarity is striking enough - same time period, similar looks!
Left: Victor Garber Right: Hugh Bonneville
- Everything looks absolutely brilliant and beautiful - the colors are bright, everything just pops on screen. And the land/property is absolutely gorgeous. Watching the scene where they went out on the hunt and all the horses and dogs are running across an open field - just gorgeous.
This isn't the exact scene - but it was the best I could find.
- LOVE the relationship between the sisters, Mary, Edith, and Sybil. I can honestly say that I can't stand Edith and Mary has become my favorite, although she infuriates me sometimes too.
- Maggie Smith steals every scene she is in!
- I can't STAND Miss. O'Brien - she is SUCH a trouble maker.
- I will inhale the rest of the episodes - but will never catch a current episode as it airs at the same times as other shows I am watching.
So what do you think about Downton Abbey? Are you new to the show or been watching since the first day?
Copyright © 2015 by The Maiden’s Court