So, it’s no secret that I am a huge Dolley Madison fan – and that goes for at work too. Over the last couple weeks I have been talking with a few of my coworkers about her (mostly because I was just reading A Perfect Union by Catherine Allgor at that time). One of them mentioned Dolly Madison Bakery (conveniently spelled wrong I instantly pointed out) and this turned into an entirely ridiculous conversation about whether the First Lady was actually a baker or not, compete with a Photoshop-ed version of the formal portrait with Mrs. Madison holding one of her Zingers!
Well, I guess I’m too young to ever remember the height of Dolly Madison Bakery fame (it has since been merged with Hostess), but here are some of their commercials for your first time viewing pleasure or for a trip down memory road!
One of my other coworkers sent me this recipe that I am going to share with you for Dolly Madison Cookies. I haven’t made these before, but let me know if you do how they are.
1 pkg. graham crackers
1 stick butter
6 oz. Nestles chocolate chips
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup chopped pecans
1 can condensed milk
1. Place graham crackers in blender to make crumbs.
2. Melt stick of butter and pour into a 9x13 baking dish. Press in graham cracker crumbs to make the crust.
3. Top with chocolate chips, coconut, and pecans.
4. Pour condensed milk over the entire dish.
5. Bake in a preheated oven at 350° F for 30 minutes. Cool and cut into squares. Makes approximately 2 dozen
From what I have just described you would wonder if we get any work done – the answer is somehow, mysteriously, YES! But we have a little fun too. Hope you enjoy!
Copyright © 2011 by The Maiden’s Court