*UPDATE*

I have updated my review and giveaway policies page (now just titled Policies above). If you are entering a giveaway, please read and abide by the applicable policy.

Attention Authors! If you arrived here looking for information on the Two Sides to Every Story guest post series, see the tab at the top of the page for more info!


Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Jane Austen Spin Offs and Sequels

Jane Austen’s books have inspired so many spin offs and sequels. They have even become part of the trend to turn classics and historic figures into paranormal stories. I compiled a list of the ones that I could easily find – most have been released over the past few years. I haven’t read any of Austen’s books (I have seen a couple of the movies) and I have only read Mr. Darcy Broke My Heart by Beth Pattillo (review to be posted tomorrow) from those below.

Paranormals
• Pride, Prejudice & Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith
• Sense, Sensibility & Sea Monsters by Jane Austen and Ben H Winters
• Mr. Darcy, Vampire by Amanda Grange
• Mansfield Park and Mummies by Jane Austen and Vera Nazarian
• Jane Bites Back: A Novel by Michael Thomas Ford
• The Phantom of Pemberley: A Pride & Prejudice Murder Mystery by Regina Jeffers
• Emma and the Werewolves by Jane Austen and Adam Rann


Pride & Prejudice Spin Offs
• Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife by Linda Berdoll
• The Darcys & the Bingleys: A Tale of Two Gentleman’s Marriages to the Two Most Devoted Sisters by Marsha Altman
• Mr. Darcy Present’s His Bride: A Sequel to Jane Austen’s Pride & Prejudice by Helen Halstead
• Apprehension and Desire by Ola Wegner
• Darcy & Elizabeth: Nights and Days at Pemberley by Linda Berdoll
• First Impressions: A Tale of Less Pride & Prejudice by Alexa Adams
• Impulse & Initiative: What If Mr. Darcy Had Set Out To Win Elizabeth’s Heart by Abigail Reynolds
• Mr. Darcy’s Great Escape: A Tale of the Darcys & the Bingleys by Marsha Altman
• Loving Mr. Darcy: Journeys Beyond Pemberley by Sharon Lathan
• Mr. Darcy’s Decision: A Sequel to Jane Austen’s Pride & Prejudice by Juliette Shapiro
• Fate and Consequences by Linda Wells
• Darcy’s Temptation: A Sequel to Jane Austen’s Pride & Prejudice by Regina Jeffers
• My Dearest Mr. Darcy by Sharon Lathan
• The Other Mr. Darcy by Monica Fairview
• Rainy Days by Lory Lilian
• A Noteworthy Courtship by Laura Sanchez
• To Conquer Mr. Darcy by Abigail Reynolds
• Longbourn's Unexpected Matchmaker by Emma Hox
• The Plight of the Darcy Brothers by Marsha Altman
• Pemberley Shades: Pride and Prejudice Continues by D. Bonavia-Hunt
• Memory Volume 1: Lasting Impressions by Linda Wells
• Memory Volume 2: Trials to Bear by Linda Wells
• Memory Volume 3: How Far We Have Come by Linda Wells
• The Darcy Cousins by Monica Fairview
Persuasion Spin Offs
•Captain Wentworth's Diary by Amanda Grange
•None but You: Frederick Wentworth, Captain Book 1 by Susan Kaye
•For You Alone: Frederick Wentworth, Captain Book 2 by Susan Kaye
•Captian Wentworth's Persuasion: Jane Austen's Classic Retold Through His Eyes by Regina Jeffers
•Mercy's Embrace: Elizabeth Elliot's Story Book 1 - So Rough a Course by Laura Hile
•Mercy's Embrace: Elizabeth Elliot's Story Book 2 - So Lively a Chase by Laura Hile
•Mercy's Embrace: Elizabeth Elliot's Story Book 3 - The Lady Must Decide by Laura Hile

Sense & Sensibility Spin Offs
• Colonel Brandon's Diary by Amanda Grange
• The Third Sister: A Continuation of Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility by Julia Barrett
• Miss Lucy Steele by Ruth Berger
• Willoughby's Return: A Tale of Almost Irresistable Temptation by Jane Odiwe

Mansfield Park Spin Offs
•Edmund Bertram's Diary by Amanda Grange
•Murder at Mansfield Park by Lynn Shepherd
•The Matters at Mansfield: Or, The Crawford Affair
by Carrie Bebris
•Mansfield Park Revisited by Joan Aiken
•The Youngest Miss Ward by Joan Aiken
•The Watsons and Emma Watson: Jane Austen's Unfinished Novel Completed
by Joan Aiken
•Eliza's Daughter by Joan Aiken

Emma Spin Offs
• Mr. Knightley's Diary by Amanda Grange
• George Knightley Esquire: Charity Envieth Not by Barbara Cornwaith
• Emma and Knightley: Perfect Happiness in Highbury by Rachel Billington
• Jane Fairfax: The Secret Story of the Second Heroine in Jane Austen's Emma by Joan Aiken
• Intrigue at Highbury: Or, Emma's Match by Carrie Bebris
• A Visit to Highbury by Joan Austen-Leigh
• Deception: A Tale of Pride and Prejudice by Ola Wegner
• Remembrance of the Past by Lory Lilian
• Chance Encounters by Linda Wells
• Mrs. Elton in America: The Compleat Mrs. Elton by Diana Birchall
• James Fairfax by Jane Austen and Adam Campan

Modern Day Austen
• The Man Who Loved Pride & Prejudice: A Modern Love Story With A Jane Austen Twist by Abigail Reynolds
• Jane Austen Ruined My Life by Beth Pattillo
• Mr. Darcy Broke My Heart by Beth Pattillo
• Seducing Mr. Darcy by Gwen Cready
• The Importance of Being Emma by Juliet Archer
• Secret Schemes and Daring Dreams by Rosie Rushton
• Perfect Fit: A Modern Tale of Pride and Prejudice by Linda Wells
• According to Jane by Marilyn Bryant
• Vanity and Vexation by Kate Fenton
• Persuading Annie by Melissa Nathan
• Pride, Prejudice and Jasmin Field by Melissa Nathan
• Northanger Alibi by Jenni James
• Summer of Secrets by Rosie Rushton
• Love, Lies and Lizzie by Rosie Rushton
• A Little Bit Psychic: Pride and Prejudice with a Modern Twist by Aimee Avery
• First Impressions (The Austen Series, Book 1) by Debra White Smith
• Reason and Romance (The Austen Series, Book 2) by Debra White Smith
• Central Park (The Austen Series, Book 3) by Debra White Smith
• Northpointe Chalet (The Austen Series, Book 4) by Debra White Smith
• Amanda (The Austen Series, Book 5) by Debra White Smith
• Possibilities(The Austen Series, Book 6) by Debra White Smith
• Me and Mr. Darcy by Alexandra Potter
Feel free to leave some opinions on the books listed above if you feel so inclined.




Copyright © 2010 by The Maiden’s Court

6 comments:

  1. I have MR. DARCY TAKES A WIFE.

    There are two Modern Day Austen books to add to the list:
    SEDUCING MR. DARCY by Gwen Cready
    ME AND MR. DARCY by Alexandra Potter

    I'm afraid I haven't read them yet. I have 2 and Gwen Cready's book is on my to buy list. That is the one I'd really like to read first. It is a time-travel book.

    There are so many you listed that I would like to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pat, I added them to the list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read P&P and S&S... as for spin-offs I have read Mr. Darcy, Vampyre, Mansfield Park Revisited, Mrs. Darcy's Dilemma, Pemberley Shades, The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen, Mr. Darcy's Diary, Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict, Rude Awakenings of a Jane Austen Addict... maybe more that I cannot recall. There are so many and more coming out this year. My favorites are Laurie Viera Rigler's because they are funny and a bit modern. Mr. Darcy, Vampyre wasn't too bad, but I've been reluctant to try other paranormal ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is quite a list. Awesome work Heather.
    I have Cready's books on my radar too because they sounded pretty good. I must admit I have quite a few of the spin-offs, but not the paranormal ones.
    Of I read paranormal, it's not going to be an updated classic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How about some spin-off love for the other novels? :)

    For "Emma" there are (from memory): 'Mr Knightley's Diary' by Amanda Grange, 'Charity Envieth Not' by Barbara Cornthwaite, 'Emma & Knightley: Perfect Happiness in Highbury' by Rachel Billington, 'Jane Fairfax' by Joan Aiken, 'The Importance of Being Emma' by Juliet Archer, 'Secret Schemes and Daring Dreams' by Rosie Rushton, 'The Intrigue at Highbury' by Carrie Bebris, 'A Visit to Highbury' by Joan Austen-Leigh, 'The Compleat Mrs Elton' by Diane Birchall, 'James Fairfax' by ???, and I think there is or will be a paranormal Emma called 'Emma and the Werewolves'.

    For "Persuasion" I know of: 'Captain Wentworth's Diary' by Amanda Grange, 'Captain Wentworth's Persuasion' by Regina Jeffers, 'None But You' by Susan Kaye, 'For You Alone' by Susan Kaye, 'Mercy's Embrace: an Elizabeth Elliot Story' by Laura Hile (in 3 books), 'Echoes of Love' by Rosie Rushton and 'Persuading Annie' by Melissa Nathan.

    For "Mansfield Park": 'Murder at Mansfield Park' by Lynn Shepherd (this one is fantastic, IMO), 'The Matters at Mansfield' by Carrie Bebris, 'Edmund Bertram's Diary' by Amanda Grange and 'Mansfield Revisited' by Joan Aiken.

    For "Sense and Sensibility": 'Colonel Brandon's Diary' by Amanda Grange, 'Miss Lucy Steele' by Ruth Berger, 'Willoughby's Return' by Jane Odiwe and 'The Third Sister' by Julia Barrett.

    For "Northanger Abbey": 'Northanger Alibi' by Jennie James, 'Summer of Secrets' by Rosie Rushton and 'Northpointe Chalet' by Debra White Smith.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nisha - wow that is a lot of books! I am not the biggest Jane Austen fan (not to say I don't enjoy the stories, in movies, but I just don't have as much of a desire to read them). I have updated this list with your suggestions and then some!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comments! I love reading them and try to reply to all!