For those of you who are unfamiliar with this title this is a companion piece to The Bronze Horseman Trilogy. Food is a very important aspect of this book series and Paullina Simons has included many of the recipes of dishes mentioned in this unique cookbook. She also pairs excerpts from the books with the recipes so you know the context they came from.
I have never encountered a recipe book based on historical fiction novel so I was very excited to find this one.
This week we made Tatiana's Buttermilk Pancakes with Grated Apple.
Tatiana's Buttermilk Pancakes with Grated Apple
1 egg yolk and 2 egg whites
2 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
4 Tbsp. butter, melted and cooled, plus some for greasing
2 cups buttermilk
2 cups flour
1 tsp. vanilla extract or fresh lemon juice
1 apple (Granny Smith or Cortland work best)
Maple syrup for serving
1) In a bowl, beat the egg yolk with the sugar and the salt. Add butter and then alternate amounts of buttermilk and flour.
2) Grate one apple, mix with the buttermilk mixture. Add vanilla or lemon juice.
3) In a medium bowl, whip the egg whites until fluffy (like making meringue) and fold carefully into the batter.
4) Preheat griddle and grease with butter or cooking spray. Drop small amounts of batter onto the pan leaving 2 inches of space between each. Cook about 1 minute on the first side and 30 seconds on the other side.
5) Place pancakes in the oven at a low temperature (approx. 200 degrees) while cooking the rest of the pancakes to keep warm.
Weekend Cooking is hosted by Beth Fish Reads and and food or cooking related post can participate.
Copyright © 2012 by The Maiden’s Court